Monday, November 17, 2008

CB MEETS OCM

I feel like I’ve just trained for track and field again—sore feet, stiff neck, lower back pain, strained muscles. I did not run ten laps straight or gotten myself into a fight—I watched a concert. Other DLSU students must have also seen the Chris Brown and Rihanna concert in The Fort Open Field yesterday and I’m sure at least one of their body parts must be aching right now. It was actually amazing. Well that is if you don’t count the gruesome physical torment of standing for three hours straight, craning your neck while tiptoeing and taking a bath in your own sweat (plus the ten other people cramped beside you) just so that you could get a good view of Chris Brown’s abs. So if I judge it based solely on the production and their performances, well I could say that saving my two weeks worth of allowance was well spent.

Since I’ve used up seventy-eight percent of the word limit by announcing my verdict on the concert, now let’s sort of digress a bit and go to the connection between Org. Comm. and the concert.

As seen in our elective for next term, organizational communication practitioners may also deal with organizing events that vary in purpose and scope. From what I’ve observed and gathered so far, they are mostly responsible for coming up with concrete ideas on how an event would possibly be a medium to say promote an organization or probably be a venue for achieving the goals they have set to exercise corporate social responsibility. Furthermore, this task entails designating people and specific tasks, overseeing the progress of the needed activities and constantly communicating and reporting to the organization holding the event. An org. comm. practitioner must also be able to provide contingency plans since any event would always have the possibility to not go as planned. In coming up with such plans, of course not only the organization’s wellbeing should be taken into consideration bust most especially its audience who will be participating in the particular activity. As one would see, a successful event may it be a concert or a fund-raising activity imperatively needs proper organizing of persons and duties and also of the sequence and the detailed execution of the different segments of the event.

As for the concert I’ve watched, I’ve observed that it was quite organized and that there were enough security personnel present to ensure everyone’s safety. Signs were also huge and clear enough to be seen and the organizers implemented systematic processes in arranging the lines and also in designating specific portions of the concert area.

No comments: